Valentine’s Day is coming & chances are you might opt for a wax here & down there. If it’s your first time or millionth time waxing please make sure you’re prepared by following the sage advice (& learning from our past mistakes) we’ve compiled over our 13 years in the biz.
- Be relaxed – reportedly the more relaxed are, the better your hair removal results will be!
- Be hydrated – dehydration has been linked to more skin being more easily irritated (read: more water, less pain)
- Be clean – bathe like you would if you were going to your ob/gyn for bikini treatments.
- Be dry – cleanliness is appreciated, but please skip the lotion, you’ll get better results if your skin is less oily.
- Be hairy – your hair should be at least ¼ inch in length (which makes it long enough to lay flat on your skin).
- Please don’t shave for at least two weeks prior to your appointment to ensure that your hair is long enough! Also, if you’ve ‘let it go’ down there & it seems out of control, don’t worry! Our specialists will trim any longer hairs to the proper length prior to the removal process.
- Be period free (for women’s bikini treatments) – it is the Shobha Policy: our specialists will not perform bikini treatments on a menstruating client, period. Generally, it is best to get a bikini treatment at least a few days before or after your period; the closer you get to your actual period, the more sensitive your body becomes, so be nice to your body & avoid making appointments on those ultra sensitive days.
- Be comfortable – if possible, wear loose clothing that day to prevent irritation in the post-treatment.
- The area that was treated may be more sensitive than usual for the next 24 – 48 hours.
- Please be kind to your skin, avoid harsh products that may have adverse reactions, for the next 24 – 48 hours after your treatment.
- Refrain from using skin care products, like cleansers & moisturizers, which contain acids (I.E. Alpha-hydroxy, glycolic, salicylic, etc.) although these acidic ingredients help remove the dead outer layers of skin,they may cause an adverse reaction after hair removal, depending on the sensitivity of your skin.
- Avoid ultra-violet rays from tanning beds &/or sunbathing for at least 48 hours. Always wear proper uv protection.
- Resist the sauna & steam room for at least 48 hours.
- Gently wash the area with an antibacterial soap in lukewarm water.
- Hold off taking hot baths/showers for at least 2 hours after your treatment.
- Use a cold compress to help soothe the hairless skin if you feel any discomfort or irritation after your treatment.
- Medical experts recommend abstaining from sexual activity for the first 48 hours after any type of bikini wax. This time period is when your body is most susceptible to outside bacteria which can potentially cause an infection.
- We recommend daily exfoliation of the area to help prevent ingrown hairs after the first 48 hours. You can check out our range of exfoliation products at our Shobha locations, & our online boutique!
- Hydrocortisone cream may be used after any hair removal treatments to help reduce irritation & inflammation, as long as you have no medical reasons prohibiting its use. Feel free to ask your specialist to apply some hydrocortisone cream before you leave. You may also reapply the cream at home that evening if you feel any further irritation. Hydrocortisone cream can be found at your local drug store.