Guess what guys? Shobha is turning 10 in just a few months! Remember how it felt when you turned 10? Finally old enough to rule the playground…& realize that, just maybe, the opposite sex isn’t all that yucky anymore!
No doubt about it, turning 10 feels great! So in honor of us accomplishing that, I thought I’d share 10 things you may not know about Shobha.
- We have a center for young women & girls in India!
Since 2006, we have been sponsoring educational projects in India, including sponsoring young women in west Bengal & funding a great inner city program, school on wheels, in Mumbai & Pune! Now, we are proud to report that we have established the Shobha’s Home For Girls & Women, a home for young women & girls who are orphans. This home is dedicated to Shobha’s grandparents. Over the next two years, we have committed to completely fund the facility, creating a safe haven for these wonderful ladies so that they can focus on their studies!
- We’ve been in the press over 300 times!
- Vogue, Allure, Lucky…even Playboy! & We’ve even had cameos on Rachael Ray & Dr. Oz’s shows, too!
- Shobha is a real person
- … she’s also our founder & CEO, & very cool one at that! Get to know her
- ‘Shobha’ means radiant in Sanskrit!
- How fitting!
- Our brow pencil in ‘sand’ can be used on almost every skin tone!
- Black, white, purple, doesn’t seem to matter what color you are! See its versatility for yourself
- We started out with 1 chair in a hair salon!
- Everyone starts somewhere, & we started by renting 1 chair in a SoHo hair salon. The stairs were rickety & the space was far from posh, but the service was as great then as it is now. & many of our clients from those days are still with us today!
- No one in Manhattan knew what threading was when we started!
- Threading may seem fairly commonplace now, but when we started 10 years ago, nobody had even heard of it! Shobha [the person] would even stand on the street corner handing out flyers for folks to come in to try it for free! Then, once they tried it, they were hooked!
- You can eat our sugaring gel!
- The gel we use in our treatment rooms & sell in our home kit is made of sugar, lemon juice, water & a touch of glycerin. It’s so natural you can eat it…& some of you already have with our in-salon cocktails! Want the recipes? Get’em here.
- We love to celebrate everything!
- Working here is fun for so many reasons, but chief among them is the fact that we celebrate everything! Not only are there festivities for holidays like Diwali & Shobha de Mayo (read: our version of Cinco de Mayo), but we also celebrate every team member’s birthday & anniversary! There’s always a reason to celebrate at Shobha…stay tuned to see what’s in store for our 10th birthday party!
- We’ve got big plans for our next 10 years!
- We’re pumped for all the great things on tap next year…& we look forward to sharing it all with you! Stay tuned on here, Facebook & Twitter to hear about it all!