Living in the Pacific Northwest, summertime equals outdoor time. After all, we have been cooped up indoors, hiding from the rain all fall, winter & spring long. By the time those first few & precious warm, sunny days arrive, residents of Oregon & Washington flock outdoors to enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking, camping & gardening.
Here are a few of my summer survival makeup essentials:
- Sunscreen – everyone should have a bottle of all-natural sunscreen. When looking for an all-natural, non-toxic sunscreen, the primary ingredients to avoid are oxybenzone & retinyl palminate. Companies like Badger Balm carry quite a few options of non-toxic sun protection. I personally like the badger SPF 34 unscented sunscreen. It is lightly moisturizing without feeling greasy, & doesn’t contain any added fragrance.
- Tinted lip balm – whether it is work or play, summer days fill up quickly. A lot of my time during summers is spent on set for outdoor photo & film shoots & doing makeup for wedding parties. The last thing I want to be thinking about is touching up my lip color. My solution: tinted lip balm. I can’t get enough of Alima Pure Organic Nourishing Lip Balm. Rhubarb is the perfect neutral pink for fair complexions, & holly berry is a beautiful pink for deeper complexions.
- Foundation/face sun protection – Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation (I wear beige 2, but the company makes 62 shades!): This all-natural, mineral foundation is lightweight, versatile & the minerals in the makeup provide a physical sunscreen.
- Bronzer – bronzer is an excellent multitasker. using the same color on your cheeks & eyes gives you the most natural-looking & cohesive definition. For this purpose, I love 100% pure cocoa pigmented bronzer in honey. Deeper skin tones will love their cocoa glow color. These bronzers have just the right amount of color & shimmer & smell delicious.
- Mascara – I don’t like to wear much eye makeup during the summer months, but I do like mascara. Ecco Bella Flowercolor Mascara is just that. This mascara isn’t intended to be volume building or ultra lengthening, but it does deliver silky, softly defined lashes that bring just the right emphasis to your eyes for a sunny summer day.