Sugaring is a sweet hair removal alternative for smooth results.
Sugaring is the forefather of modern waxing, dating back to the ancient civilizations of Mesopotamia, Egypt and Greece. Originally, it was created as a home remedy for removing hair by combining common cooking ingredients. This treatment is similar to waxing, sans the artificial fragrances, dyes, chemicals and preservatives. Its natural formula translates to a more gentle and less painful experience than waxing, as well as reduce skin irritation, making it ideal for those with sensitive skin. It adheres only to the hair, not the skin, and is used at room temperature so there’s no chance of scorching your skin and is currently growing in popularity at salons, as well as in at-home kits (see below for our product recommendations). Time between treatments is approximately one month, ideal for brides and grooms prepping their skin to stay smooth through the honeymoon, and can be done on all parts of the body.
Jessica Meyers of Shobha salon, New York City’s hair removal experts, gives us the sweet scoop on sugaring versus other forms of hair removal.
SUGARING VS WAXING
- Sensitivity & Pain: Sugaring gel can be used on even the most sensitive skin; many find it to be noticeably less painful than waxing.
- Hairlessness not Redness: Since sugaring gel sticks to your hair just like wax, but less to your skin, it pulls the hair from the root while pulling less on the skin when it is removed, making it less traumatic for the skin and resulting in minimal redness afterwards.
- Irritation Minimization: Sugaring gel is less abrasive to the skin than wax and won’t remove the top layer of skin like wax can. It is even safe to go over an area more than once, which is not the case with wax.
- Denim, not Just for Fashion: The weight of the denim cloth, which is heavier than the usual muslin strip used with wax, helps to eliminate some of the discomfort.
- Sweet Results, Naturally: Since sugaring gel is only made from sugar, lemon juice, water and a touch of glycerin, it is a great option for those who have specific allergies to the different resins and other ingredients found in wax (e.g., beeswax – some people are actually very allergic!), but who still prefer a longer lasting hair removal solution.
- Simple, Not Sticky Icky:Unlike wax, the sugaring gel is water soluble. Any remaining gel residue can simply be washed off with water!
SUGARING VS SHAVING
- Smoother, Longer: Sugaring allows you to remain hairless or closer to hairlessness much longer than shaving. With shaving, stubbles can appear within hours, while sugaring will allow smooth hairlessness for about one to two weeks without any growth.
- Soft vs. Sharp: Sugaring removes hair from the root, while shaving cuts the hair at the skin’s surface and creates sharp edges, which can feel like sand-paper during re-growth. Re-growth of hair after sugaring tends to be softer while in the stubble-length because the new hair has to re-grow starting from the root, instead of the existing hair re-growing from just below the skin’s surface (as in shaving).
- Burn Baby Burn: Those with sensitive skin and who fall victim to razor burn—sugaring is a great solution!
- Save time & Water: Shaving can take precious time away from beauty sleep (because it is usually done on a daily basis) and increases the risk of slicing and dicing your lovely skin before you might even be fully awake. On the contrary, sugaring can be a relaxing experience (claimed by many of our clients) and is seen to many as a monthly treat not a daily chore! Did you know? The average woman will use over 420,000 gallons of water while shaving throughout her lifetime (that’s enough to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool!). You can save water, the planet and your time by sugaring.
The Shobha Sugaring Kit conveniently provides everything needed for hassle-free hair removal at home. The kit features an all-natural, professional grade Shobha Sugaring Gel for gentle removal with effective results. Plus, only warm water is needed for cleanup, making it a great alternative to messy waxing options. Available at Shobha for $30.Want to do an at-home treatment? Check out these three sugaring kits:
Using an ancient Egyptian recipe, SheaMoisture’s Sugar Wax contains only all-natural ingredients, including: honey (natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory), black seed oil (heals) and raw sugar. Available at Target for $11.99.
Specifically designed for male body hair, M4Men Moom For Men Hair Removal System is enriched with essential oils and effective skin-enhancers. Available at moom.com for $19.95.