Way beforeCosmo & Maxim came around, people had very few options when looking for sexual advice…in the written form anyway [I’m pretty sure older siblings & wiser friends always existed!]. But where did those in-the-know go? They went straight to the back corners of the local bookstore – often in the beaded-off section – for a dusty copy of the Kama Sutra, the ancient Indian text known as a go-to-guide for sexual positions. Now, in an age where sex is much more in the daily dialogue, the Kama Sutra is getting dusted off & brought to the front shelf…along with countless modern interpretations, ‘sequels,’ picture books, & more!
So what is the Kama Sutra all about?
- ‘Kama’ means sensual or sexual pleasure & ‘Sutra’ literally means a thread that holds things together. Combined, these metaphorically equate to a sexual story or manual.
- Sources believe it was first written in the second century, but it didn’t become part of the western mainstream until the sexual revolution in the ’60s.
- A simple search of the term Kama Sutra on amazon.com yields 1,642 book results!
- Apparently it was the most pirated book of 2009! For the record, twilight was #7 on that list.
- There are 64 positions in all. With names like ‘elephant,’ ‘wrestler,’ & ‘stride,’ I say tread carefully.
- Feeling brave [& athletic]? Apparently, the ‘tripod’ is the most difficult position.
- It ain’t all about the positions! Actually, the positions part makes up only 20% of the text! The other 80% is made up of 6 chapters devoted to everything from acquiring a virgin to how to act around other men’s wives. There’s even a chapter about being a dutiful wife…I skipped that one!
Want to check it out? Modern versions of the Kama Sutra are available at amazon.com…& pretty much anywhere else you look!
Keep in mind… the Kama Sutra requires preparation & practice!
Just remember to come into Shobha first, because I can’t in good conscience recommend Kama Sutra-ing without prepping your bikini first!