For those days when I am visiting a warmer, sunnier beach, here is what you will find in my bag:
- All-natural, non-toxic sunscreen: there are many great companies who make broad spectrum sunscreen (UVA & UVB protection) that does not contain oxybenzone, retinyl palminate or other artificial & potentially harmful ingredients. A few of my favorites: Badger Balm & Goddess Garden.
- Sun hat: shade at least your face & if possible, your neck. Your older self & skin will thank you. Wear your sunscreen & a hat at the beach (no, you don’t have to wear it when you go in the water!).
- SPF lip balm: just like rest of your skin, your lips need protection from the sun’s rays during your day by the sea. Don’t forget to give your lips an extra layer of protection by applying SPF-rated lip balm. A few of my favorites: Hurraw Sun Protection Balm & Purple Prairie Botanicals, Sunstuff Lip Balm.
- Color on-the-go: even though I don’t wear foundation at the beach, I do like to see a touch of color on my skin. For this, I love Revolution Organics Freedom Glow Beauty Balm. These bronzing sticks come in three shades & are packaged like giant lip balms.
- Rosewater Freshening Cloths: these lightly-scented cloths are extremely gentle & may be used to clean & freshen your body from head to toe after a day of sand, sun, salt water & sweat. I am always grateful for these little cloths at the end of a day spent outdoors. My skin feels clean & fresh &, as much as we all love the beach, I am grateful to not have my husband & myself smelling like the ocean the whole drive home.
- Water: staying hydrated is one of the most important things you can do for your skin. People always comment on how big my purse is. Well, it’s because I carry a large water bottle with me at all times. The beach is no exception. My bottles include: Lifefactory & Kleen Kanteen.