At Shobha, we’re dedicated to providing safe & effective products. Unfortunately, that objective is not an industry-wide standard. Cosmetic products are almost completely unregulated by the FDA & toxic chemicals are often found in our day-to-day products– yikes! Before you toss your beauty arsenal (just the thought brings tears to my eyes!), take a look at the ingredients lists & do some research. To make life a little easier, I’ve compiled a handy list of some things to start avoiding:
- Formaldehyde– this one is classified by the international agency for research on cancer (iarc) as a known human carcinogenic (aka it’s linked to cancer)! Despite that scary fact, estimates show that about one-fifth of cosmetic products contain chemicals that release formaldehyde.
- Triclosan– often used in antibacterial products, triclosan is registered as a pesticide by the epa! It is suspected to be an endocrine disrupter & cancer-causer.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (sls) & sodium laureth sulfate (sles)– these are frequently used in engine degreasers & car washes… & in 90% of foaming cosmetic products. They are bad for you, our furry friends & the environment. One alternative to look for is ammonium cocoyl isethionate.
- Parabens- these are the most widely used preservatives in cosmetics. They are suspected endocrine disruptors & have been found in breast cancer tumors.
- Fragrance (aka parfum) – though it looks like an innocent word, “fragrance” can include dozens or even hundreds of chemicals. Instead, look for products that are fragrance-free or utilize natural fragrances, like essential oils.