laser hair removal prep instructions (what to do before your appointment)
- shave the area within the 24 hours before your appointment.
- the closer the shave the better. if it is your first time, leave a small patch of hair so that your specialist can exam it. (she’ll shave it down before beginning the treatment!)
- for bikini services, don’t shave the part where you want to keep the hair.
- skip the makeup/lotion/deodorant the day of your appointment (in the area where you are receiving a treatment).
- stay out of direct sunlight for at least 7 days prior to your appointment (& 7 days after).
- do not use self-tanner or spray tan products for at least 2 weeks before your treatment to avoid potential injury.
- avoid drinking more than 2 alcoholic beverages 24 hours before your treatment (be sure to factor that in if you have party plans!).
- avoid waxing/sugaring/threading/tweezing in the area for at least 4 weeks. shaving is ok!
- upon arrival, complete your laser form as honestly as possible (don’t be shy!).
- we ask that you disclose personal information regarding your medical history & background, which will be reviewed during your consultation.
- the information you provide is important to customize the laser settings for the safest & most effect results just for you!
- if you are under the care of physician, you may be asked to provide a doctor’s note (so be proactive & ask your doc ahead of time!).
important notes: (1) laser services cannot be performed on ladies who are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to conceive. (2) bikini laser services will not be performed on menstruating clients in accordance with our Shobha No PeriodSM Policy.
- redness & bumps are normal.
immediately after your treatment, redness & bumps at the treatment area are common; these may last up to 2 hours or longer. it is normal for the treated area to feel like a sunburn for a few hours. you should use a cold compress if the sensitivity continues. if there is any crusting, apply an antibiotic cream. darker pigmented skin may have more discomfort than lighter skin & may persist longer.
- cleanse gently.
the treated area may be washed gently with a mild soap. skin should be patted dry & not rubbed during the first 48 hours.
- skip the makeup & lotion/moisturizer/deordorant for the first 24 hours.
keep the area clean & dry, if further redness or irritation persists, skip your makeup & moisturizer, & deordorant (for underarms) until the irritation has subsided.
- dead hairs will begin to shed 5-30 days after your treatment.
stubbles, representing dead hair being shed from the hair follicle, will appear within 5-30 days from the treatment date. that is normal & they will fall out quickly.
- exfoliate to speed up hair shedding.
anywhere from 5-30 days after the treatment, shedding of the hair may occur & this may appear as new hair growth. it is not new hair growth, but the dead hair pushing its way out of the follicle. you can help the hair come out by washing with a washcloth or a Shobha® Exfoliating Cloth & shaving.
- avoid the sun.
avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of dark or light spots for 2 months. use sunscreen (spf 30 or higher) at all times throughout the treatment period & for 1-2 months following.
- do not pick/scratch/wax/sugar/thread/tweeze the area.
avoid picking or scratching the treated skin. do not use any other hair removal methods or products, other than shaving, on the treated area during the course of your laser treatments, as it will prevent you from achieving the best results.
- hair growth varies.
on average, most folks will experience a level of hairless happiness after 6-9 sessions which will result in not even checking for stubble (yes, it's life changing!).
- ask a professional.
call us here at Shobha with any questions or concerns you may have after the treatment.